Saturday, August 23, 2014

The Disoriented Ranger getting lost on g+ ...

So I decided to go a bit more public and connect my blog with my g+ account. Never thought it would happen, but there you go. I'm available now. Let me share my first name with you: my name is Jens, which is the Scandinavian equivalent to John (JD is still fine, I guess). Now we all can be online friends! Not that I have the faintest idea how this is working ... I'd be happy about every tip how to navigate g+, which communities to join, etc.. Please feel free to enlighten me in the comments section below (I won't switch to g+ comments, because I don't like the exclusivity, or, better yet, exclusion, they produce ... that much I know already).

And add me to your circles if you like. Let's see how this goes ..

4 comments:

  1. Making G+ not explode your head requires good circle management. I've been too lazy to better organize my circles, but I know I should. Basically, you will probably want a few general circles ("gamers" "politics" "fiction" or whatever you're interested in interacting with people about there) along with family and friend circles. Then you can create smaller circles for specific groups of people within those broader circles in order to filter out the signal from the noise.

    As for communities, there are way too many! My go-to community to send my posts to is the OSR one, but I belong to 2,000 Coppers, Tabletop RPGs, and quite a few others to read posts.

    One last tip - I don't check G+ all the time. So I miss a lot. And I'm cool with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It's already three times the work (head = exploded)! Anyway, thanks for the tips about circles. I'll need to structure that some more. The OSR community I did find (well, not sure if we are talking about the same,l but I guess so), 2000 coppers I'll check out. And yeah, I need to let go. Right now it's shiny and new, so I'll go with that, but I guess it's only sane to have some healthy distance to this ... Is there an Android App out there that is any good? And how do I find you there (if you want to be found ...)?

      Delete
  2. Hey, sorry for the late response. There is an Android G+ app, which is how I check it the most often. I haven't tried using the Hangouts function on my smart phone, though. I do all my G+ gaming on my PC.

    And I'm +Dennis Laffey over there. https://plus.google.com/u/0/100019238175267846012/posts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll try the android version, I guess (seems to work well enough). and add you to my circles, of course.

      One last question (if it's not too much of an effort): if I publish a post, is it automatically posted for g+ or do I need to share it again to make that work (I tried both, the results where not very clear ...)?

      Delete

Recent developments made it necessary to moderate posts again. Sorry about that, folks.