Friday, September 13, 2013

D&D 30 Day Challenge - Day 13

Today's Question is:

What's my favorite trap or puzzle?

My favorite traps or puzzles are those that are difficult enough to be a problem for the players while creative and engaging, but without bringing The Game to a standstill. Used a chess game once as a key to open a secret door. The players needed to make the right move and had to interpret a riddle they had found to solve it. I even had brought a chess board with me to visualize the puzzle.

The most fun puzzle I can remember, though, was the painting of a naked lady on a couch. It was hanging in a small closet in a brothel and looked something like this:
Nude Woman by the impressionist Gustave Caillebotte, ca. 1880 (Gallery)
Now, the painting will radiate magic, if someone is looking. Touching it will move the woman. One finger will move the head, two will move the head and one arm, etc.. To move the whole body, a second hand needs to be involved. Moving the dame in the right position (I did go for sleazy, it's a brothel after all) will open something (in our case: a secret door, the pun was intended).

You could go all kinds of directions with this. The picture could show the same room (did in my case) and a variant could be that some compartment is in the picture that isn't in the real room. Only the woman is able to open it. Stuff like that.

It's just fun to watch the players search for the right solution. And it is something that's easy to visualize and everybody can participate. So yeah, could be my favorite puzzle.


Also:
My favorite illustration in the 4E HackMaster Gamemaster's Guide (p. 323),
can't look at it without getting my Evil-DM-Grin (TM). 
So day 13 is dealt with. Let's see what the others are up to...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent developments made it necessary to moderate posts again. Sorry about that, folks.