Sunday, August 17, 2014

Weird Movie Sunday: Tusk

I didn't know about this and thought I'd share ...

So Jay and Silent Bob watch an old Cronenberg movie and decide to make their own body horror flick. Well, maybe that's not fair. As internet-lore goes, Kevin Smith saw an entry on Craigslist (or some such thing) about a guy looking for others to dress as animals for him and Smith took this as an idea for a movie that goes way beyond that premise: it's about a guy that tries to transform another human being into a ... walrus (of all things). Because they are better people.

Here is the trailer and it's the weirdest thing I've seen in a loooong while:


I mean, that's just an extraordinary display of madness with a humor that makes you choke on your laughter. It's that profound fear that somebody might try to alter your body that irreversibly destroys how you want to be perceived by others and thus threatens your sanity. I'm aware that this is what body horror is all about, but ... you know, I can't really put my finger on it. The thing made me uncomfortable (in a good way) and I'm really not squeamish. Maybe it's how the madness of this guy is rationalized, maybe it's the glimpse of a normal life that shows the main protagonist in the beginning (something Kevin Smith is very able to make work, I might add) and the true horror in the eyes of his girlfriend later on (since Red State, I know he is willing to go there ...).

I'm not saying this will be a good movie, but judging by the trailer it very well has the potential to be. So I'm going to bookmark this and will see it as soon as it hits the screens. If you're a fan of Smith's work or of the weird, maybe you'll do the same and we'll talk about it later.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent developments made it necessary to moderate posts again. Sorry about that, folks.